Total Cook Time
Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwiches start by using three kinds of cheese for the best complex flavors and melty goodness. Combining butter and mayonnaise on the outside of the bread before grilling gives a nice tang.
- 8 slices of bread, like sourdough or your favorite thick sliced bread
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 slices Cache Valley Creamery Medium Cheddar pre-sliced cheese
- 4 slices Cache Valley Creamery Havarti pre-sliced cheese
- 4 slices Cache Valley Creamery Gouda pre-sliced cheese
- Mix the mayonnaise and softened butter. Spread ½ tablespoon of the mixture on one side of each slice of bread.
- Set a skillet over medium heat and place 2 slices of bread in the skillet, butter/mayonnaise side down.
- Stack 2 slices of Cache Valley Creamery cheddar, and 1 slice each of Cache Valley Creamery Havarti and Gouda on the toast and tent with aluminum foil to help melt the cheese. Once the breads are golden, top the sandwiches with the remaining 2 slices of prepared bread, butter/mayonnaise mixture on the outside.
- Immediately flip the sandwich so the other piece of bread can toast. Once it starts to turn golden on the bottom, press down gently on the bread to help the cheese stick to it. Flip and press again gently, but don’t smash the sandwich too thin.
- Once the bread is at your desired doneness, remove sandwiches to a cutting board and tent the sandwiches while you repeat with the next two sandwiches. Place the second set of sandwiches on the cutting board, cutting all the sandwiches on a diagonal and serve immediately.
- Preheat oven to 450F degrees.
- Lightly coat one side of each slice of bread with the mayonnaise/butter mixture.
- Place on the cookie sheet, mayo/butter side down.
- Place cheese on half the slices of bread.
- Place the second piece of bread on top of the cheese, mayo/butter mixture facing out.
- Bake for approximately 4 minutes.
- Flip sandwiches over and bake and additional 3 or 4 minutes until done.
Other Cache Valley Creamery cheese that is delicious in this recipe are Mozzarella, Monterey Jack, and Swiss.
You can add other ingredients to the sandwich before closing the bread- bacon, tomatoes, mustard, whatever you like. This is a great springboard recipe to customize however you like.
If using the oven method, please note that if you add additional slices of cheese or if your bread is a bit smaller than the cheese, more of the cheese will melt out during the first half of baking. It’ll still taste delicious but will look a little messy.
Recipe Author Good Dinner Mom