Total Cook Time
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 medium poblano pepper
- 12 tomatillos
- 2 tbsp. Cache Valley® butter
- 1 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 8 oz. light sour cream
- ¼ tsp. chipotle powder, optional
- 18 corn tortillas
- 4 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 3 cups Cache Valley® Finely Shredded Four Cheese Mexican Shreds
- PLACE oven rack 6 inches from the broiler and preheat broiler. Brush a cookie sheet lightly with oil. Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- REMOVE and discard stems, seeds and pulp from pepper. Cut pepper in half lengthwise.
- REMOVE paper husk from tomatillos and rinse them. Cut in half across the diameter. Place tomatillos and pepper cut side down on baking sheet and brush lightly with oil.
- BROIL for 6 to 8 minutes until lightly browned. Let sit for 5 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Chop and set aside.
- RESET oven to 350° F.
- MELT butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Sauté green onions until soft, about 2 minutes. Stir in flour until well blended. Gradually stir in chicken broth.
- BOIL on high heat then reduce heat to medium and simmer until sauce has thickened. Add in sour cream and chipotle powder. Remove from heat and set aside.
- BRUSH a small skillet lightly with oil as needed to sauté the tortillas. Sauté each tortilla separately for about 10 to 20 seconds on each side until cooked through, but not crisp.
- SPREAD ½ cup sauce onto the prepared pan. Layer 6 tortillas over the sauce to form a single layer. Spread tortillas with ⅓ of the tomatillo and pepper mixture, then top with⅓ of the chicken and 1 cup of the cheese. Repeat for a total of 3 layers, ending with cheese on top.
- BAKE uncovered near the top of the oven for 35 to 40 minutes until bubbling and lightly browned.