Total Cook Time
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. chopped garlic
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 1 cup chopped onion, about 1 large
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper, about 1 large
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1½ tsp. each dried oregano and ground cumin
- 2 cans (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 oz.) diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- ½ cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1½ cups Cache Valley® Shredded Cheddar and Monterey Jack Cheese
- HEAT oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat until hot. Add garlic and chili powder and cook, stirring until garlic is aromatic, about 30 seconds.
- STIR in pepper and onion; cook and stir until pepper and onion have softened, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- STIR in ground beef, oregano and cumin; cook for 5 minutes or until beef has browned.
- MIX in beans, tomatoes and water. Increase heat to medium-high; bring chili to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until flavors blend and chili thickens, about 10 minutes. Serve topped with cheese.
Notes: Chili can be spooned into hollowed-out 5-inch bread bowls, topped with cheese and baked in a 350° F oven for 5 minutes or until cheese has melted.
Serve with sour cream, tortilla chips, diced avocado, black olives, chopped onions and/or hot sauce, if desired.